Behind another strong pitching performance (yes, really), the Senators defeated the Altoona Curve 3-1 in extra innings to move back to .500 on the season.
Nate Karns rebounded from his disappointing debut with a stellar outing where he went five innings allowing only three hits and one walk while striking out eight. Relievers Ian Krol, Neil Holland, and Pat Lehman held the Curve scoreless through regulation. Unfortunately, the Senators couldn’t plate a run themselves in the first nine innings off Curve pitchers Stolmy Pimentel and Jeff Inman.
In the top of the 10th, the Senators’ offense cashed in though as Brian Goodwin singled Ricky Hague with the game’s first run. An Anthony Rendon sacrifice fly and Destin Hood double would add two more runs on the board and give Harrisburg a three-run cushion. Aaron Barrett worked the bottom of the tenth for the Senators but he ran into trouble before striking out Carlos Paulino with the tying run on first base to end the game.
Player of the Game: Nate Karns
From the Windup
• The Senators much maligned pitching staff had put up 20 straight zeroes on the board before Altoona scored an unearned run in the 10th inning.
• Destin Hood replaced Steven Souza in rightfield during the 4th inning as Souza continues to deal with soreness in his shoulder.
• Expect Wilson Ramos’ pulled hamstring and trip to the DL to cause a ripple effect down to the Harrisburg receivers. Former Senator Jhonatan Solano will more than likely get the call-up from Syracuse to serve as Kurt Suzuki’s backup. I also expect Jeff Howell to head to Triple-A to take his roster spot and Kris Watts to be activated off the disabled list for the Senators.
• Brian Goodwin extended his hitting streak to 8 games with a single to leadoff the game.
• After last season, one of the things Goodwin needed to work on was translating his speed to become a much better base stealer. Tonight was the first base Goodwin has attempted to steal this season, and he was easily gunned down.
• Josh Johnson was unavailable for the game…word is that he’s nursing a minor injury that has his status day-to-day.