• Congratulations go out to Jimmy VanOstrand (’12) who was named the International Baseball Federation’s (IBAF) Senior Athlete of the Year for 2012.
• Andrew Kown (’08-’10) was released by the Giants organization after getting shelled in his last start with Triple-A Fresno.
• Erik Arnesen (’09-’11) will get the Opening Day start tomorrow for the Somerset Patriots as they take on the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs at TD Bank Ballpark. His former and current teammate James Skelton (’12) is slated as the Patriots’ opening day starter at second base despite his extensive minor league career as a catcher. (My Central Jersey [Dunleavy])
• Fans of the Buffalo Bisons were almost privy to a trip in the wayback machine as the scheduled starters for Saturday’s doubleheader were Claudio Vargas (’02-’03) and Miguel Batista (’93-’94) until rain postponed the day.
• Catch up with Kevin Pucetas (’12) after his first start with the Frisco RoughRiders as he talks about his journey in professional baseball, how the Texas Rangers organization signed him, and his role with the young pitching staff.
Old Faces, New Places
• According to reports, the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League have signed Jason Bergmann (’04-’05) for 2013
• The Cincinnati Reds have signed right-handed reliever Mike MacDougal (’10) to a minor league contract
• After getting released earlier this spring from the Dodgers, Victor Garate (’10) has signed with the Saraperos de Saltillo of the Mexican League